Author

Ivory Coast cocoa port arrivals halted for several days -exporters

Comments (0) Latest Updates from Reuters

ABIDJAN (Reuters) – Ivory Coast cocoa exporters said on Wednesday they had not received cocoa bean deliveries from inland farms for several days because many buyers have been temporarily blocked out of a booking system.

The 2016/17 cocoa season began last week and international traders are keeping a close eye on port arrivals to gauge supplies from the world’s top grower.

“We have not received beans because the suppliers are not up to date and therefore don’t have system access,” said an Abidjan-based exporter, referring to the SYDORE booking system.

Exporters in the two main ports of San Pedro and Abidjan said that the cleaning and drying of beans in preparation for export had halted due to the lack of deliveries.

The Coffee and Cocoa Council (CCC) confirmed the suspensions, saying that they were for failure to prove compliance with tax regulations. A CCC official said it hoped to have all buyers back in the system by month-end.

Some buyers said they have already met the regulatory requirements, which existed in previous seasons but were not strictly enforced, and expected to be able to resume activities next week.

 

(Reporting by Ange Aboa; Writing by Emma Farge; Editing by Susan Fenton and Adrian Croft)

tagreuters.com2016binary_LYNXNPEC9910U-VIEWIMAGE

Read more

Zambia tells IMF will cut $1 billion in subsidies

Comments (0) Latest Updates from Reuters

LUSAKA (Reuters) – Zambia has told the International Monetary Fund (IMF) it will gradually cut subsidies amounting to about $1 billion as part of an economic recovery plan, Finance Minister Felix Mutati said.

Africa’s second-biggest copper producer will also boost funds for social welfare, Mutati said during talks with IMF officials at the lender’s annual meetings, a finance ministry statement released late on Sunday said.

The statement did not specify which subsidies would be trimmed. Zambian government subsidies include about $600 million annually for electricity and fuel.

 

(Reporting by Chris Mfula; Editing by Ed Stoddard and Joe Brock)

tagreuters.com2016binary_LYNXNPEC990IN-VIEWIMAGE

Read more

Egypt has contracted to import 420,000 tonnes of sugar, seeks 200,000 more

Comments (0) Latest Updates from Reuters

CAIRO (Reuters) – Egypt has contracted for the import of 420,000 tonnes of sugar in coordination with the military in the “past few days” and will seek to import another 200,000 tonnes in the coming week, the government said on Saturday.

“The Supply Ministry, in coordination with the National Service Products Organisation, has contracted to import 420,000 tonnes of sugar in the past few days in addition to contracting this week to import an additional 200,000 tonnes of sugar,” the government said in a statement.

The National Service Products Organisation is part of the Defence Ministry. It manufactures military and civilian products and provides contracting services.

State grain buyer GASC is seeking 100,000 tonnes of raw sugar and traders said on Saturday it received two offers, both for 50,000 tonnes.

Egypt said last week that it plans to build a six-month reserve of essential food items, adding to other recent purchases of commodities such as oil and wheat.

Traders said the move was aimed at building up stocks ahead of a currency devaluation. GASC announced three separate tenders in the space of one day on Tuesday for wheat, vegetable oils and sugar.

The Supply Ministry will also hold an international tender for rice with a minimum of 500,000 tonnes, the government said on Saturday. GASC has not announced any international tenders for rice yet.

 

(Reporting by Ahmed Aboulenein; editing by Mark Heinrich)

Read more

South Africa’s rand falls on higher U.S. rate rise prospects

Comments (0) Latest Updates from Reuters

JOHANNESBURG (Reuters) – South Africa’s rand weakened on Thursday as bets on a December U.S. rate rise brought emerging currencies under pressure, while stocks ended slightly weaker as gold and platinum mining shares slid on lower precious metal prices.

The benchmark Top-40 index closed down 0.6 percent at 45,051 points while the All-Share index fell 0.5 percent to 51,611 points.

At 1530 GMT, the rand traded at 13.8550 per dollar, 1 percent weaker from its New York close.

Recent figures from the world’s largest economy, the latest on Wednesday showing U.S. services sector activity soaring to an 11-month high, have helped the case for the Fed to raise interest rates, most likely in December.

Investors were already looking to U.S. jobs data on Friday for pointers on the timing of the next U.S. interest rate hike.

“Tomorrow, of course, will be more interesting but that only adds to today’s malaise as global markets have already gone into their typical pre-payrolls slumber,” Rand Merchant Bank analyst John Cairns said in a note.

“Fed hike talk though is much more realistic. Our expectation of a December move was given credence by both the sharp rebound in the U.S. ISM (Institute for Supply Management) services sector indicator and some mildly hawkish talk from Fed members.”

On the stock market, lower precious metals prices hurt mining stocks, with Sibanye Gold shedding 3.3 percent to 39.98 rand after bullion fell to a three-month low on raised prospects for a rate hike by the Fed.

Gold’s losses dragged platinum lower, pushing the shares of major producer Lonmin down 4.1 percent to 33.68 rand.

Petrochemical firm Sasol, which rose on a firmer crude price, was the best performing blue-chip stock, gaining 1.7 percent to 388.32 rand.

“Brent crude broke decisively through the $50 barrier and the rand is a bit weaker and that is just what Sasol needs,” said Cratos Capital equities trader Greg Davies.

Trade was muted with around 238 million shares changing hands, compared with last year’s daily average of 296 million.

In fixed income, the yield for the benchmark government bond due in 2026 dipped 1 basis points to 8.705 percent.

 

(Reporting by Olivia Kumwenda-Mtambo and TJ Strydom; Editing by Ed Cropley)

tagreuters.com2016binary_LYNXNPEC9515E-VIEWIMAGE

Read more

South Africa’s rand weaker as investors see higher U.S. rates

Comments (0) Latest Updates from Reuters

JOHANNESBURG (Reuters) – South Africa’s rand hovered near a one-week low versus the dollar on Friday, on increased bets by investors that a U.S. interest rate hike is on the cards this year.

* Rand falls to session low of 13.9425, weakest since Sept 30, and trades 0.31 percent softer at 13.9350/dollar by 0655 GMT compared with Thursday’s close.

* Currency largely unmoved by central bank data showing South Africa’s net foreign reserves rose to $41.953 billion in September from $40.795 billion the previous month.

* Government debt also weakens across the curve, and yield for 10-year paper rises 3 basis points to 8.745 percent.

* South African bourse likely to open weaker, with blue chip futures index dipping 0.39 percent.

 

(Reporting by Stella Mapenzauswa; editing by John Stonestreet)

tagreuters.com2016binary_LYNXNPEC960ER-VIEWIMAGE

Read more

OPEC could cut output more than Algiers deal if needed: Algeria minister

Comments (0) Latest Updates from Reuters

ALGIERS (Reuters) – OPEC could cut production at its November meeting in Vienna by another one percent more than the amount agreed in Algiers last month, if producers evaluate it is needed, Algeria’s Energy Minister Nouredine Bouterfa has told local Ennahar TV.

“We will evaluate the market in Vienna by the end of November and if 700,000 barrels are not enough, we will go up. Now that OPEC is unified and speaks in one voice everything is much easier and if we need to cut by 1 percent, we will cut by 1 percent,” he told Ennahar in an interview to be broadcast later on Thursday.

 

(Reporting by Lamine Chikhi; writing by Patrick Markey. Editing by Jane Merriman)

tagreuters.com2016binary_LYNXNPEC950FP-VIEWIMAGE

Read more

Egypt stocks up on strategic commodities ahead of devaluation

Comments (0) Latest Updates from Reuters

By Eric Knecht and Maha El Dahan

CAIRO/ABU DHABI (Reuters) – Egypt said it plans to build a six month reserve of essential food items, adding to other recent purchases of commodities such as oil and wheat, in what traders said was a move to build up stocks ahead of a currency devaluation.

Prime Minister Sherif Ismail said late on Tuesday the country would look to import 500,000 tonnes of rice and 400,000 tonnes of sugar to boost reserves and keep prices in the domestic market down.

The statement came after state grain buyer GASC announced three separate tenders in the space of one day for wheat, vegetable oils and sugar.

“I would definitely say that the current plan does appear to be stocking up on imported stocks before a devaluation. We’re seeing this happening in sugar, rice, beans, and the current campaign in wheat,” one Cairo-based commodities trader said, echoing several others who spoke to Reuters.

GASC declined to comment on the issue.

Egypt, the world’s largest wheat importer, operates a massive food subsidy programme to sell essential items to the country’s poorest citizens.

“We’ve received numerous inquiries from different government agencies – some military as well – and they seem quite eager to get their hands on commodities,” the trader said.

Pressure has been mounting on Egypt’s central bank to devalue its currency as the country contends with an acute dollar shortage brought on by the flight of tourists and foreign investors, major sources of hard currency that fled after the 2011 uprising.

Speculation is rife that the bank could devalue the pound in coming days to close a widening gap with the black market rate, which has ticked up to more than 14 pounds to the dollar in recent days compared with the official rate of 8.8 pounds.

Essential commodities purchased by the government are among the few items that receive dollar allocations at the official rate, with the vast majority of importers forced to resort to the more expensive black market.

The additional imports are part of an “urgent plan to guarantee the stability of strategic stocks of essential food items and ensure there is at least six months in stock at all times,” a cabinet statement said.

While some traders saw the recent uptick in government tenders as proof of an impending devaluation, others said the government’s campaign may be too late, with goods likely to arrive in Egypt after a possible rate cut or currency flotation.

“Unfortunately stocks are only built with executed contracts and not with confirmed ones,” another Cairo-based trader said.

The dash to fill stocks comes as prices have been climbing on commodities such as sugar and rice in recent weeks, partly due to shortages in the domestic market, traders told Reuters.

Sugar is trading locally at almost double its price from two months ago and quantities available to the private sector have been severely limited, one trader said.

 

(Reporting by Eric Knecht and Maha El Dahan. Editing by Jane Merriman and Louise Heavens)

Read more

Strategic approach to regulation can boost SME exports: ITC

Comments (0) Latest Updates from Reuters

By Tom Miles

GENEVA (Reuters) – Governments have a massive opportunity to boost national trade if they think strategically about how standards and regulations help or hinder SMEs to export, the Geneva-based International Trade Centre (ITC) said in a report published on Thursday.

“If you want to maximise your chances of getting your share of international trade, you need to be very strategic about where is the potential that you are not tapping into,” the ITC’s Executive Director Arancha Gonzalez told Reuters.

“The government has a possibility to open the door for businesses to follow, rather than the government following the regulatory framework of businesses that are trying to swim in this current by themselves.”

The ITC, a joint agency of the United Nations and the World Trade Organization that helps SMEs to trade, says its 300-page report, “Meeting the standard for trade”, offers a guide for small businesses and an action plan for governments.

Standards and regulations are key to competitiveness and one of the defining elements of trade in the 21st century, Gonzalez said, as consumers become more and more savvy and picky about where products come from and what they contain.

“Consumers are asking for more sophisticated standards. This is a huge challenge for SMEs, for governments, and for institutions. The option of no standards or lower standards is not an option,” Gonzalez said.

Standards are diverse. They determine whether a plug fits into a socket, whether a medicine can be sold, and whether we can understand foreign traffic signs. Regulations can mean safety rules for food or cars, or privacy rules for data storage. In all cases governments need to back the rules up with testing and certification.

The report identifies areas where countries are underperforming their export potential, which standards and regulations they should target to meet that potential, and what investments are needed.

There is an opportunity for trade in processed and fresh food within the Middle East and North Africa, for example, where the number of technical regulations for fresh food imports is four times higher than in other regions, Gonzalez said.

“There is no internal trade because the manner in which they are regulating is hugely burdensome. So they don’t trade with each other, they only trade with the rest of the world.”

Countries in the region could increase food exports to each other by $7.6 billion and to developing countries in Asia by $16.5 billion, the report said.

The Asia-Pacific region could export $400 billion more in IT and consumer electronics, and $1.7 trillion more overall, and had strong potential to diversify into chemicals exports, the report said.

Meeting standards can open markets and raise prices, but Gonzalez said governments should “craft” regulation with SMEs in mind, since smaller firms make up 98 percent of businesses and their ability to trade suffers disproportionately from red tape.

“A 10 percent increase in the regulatory burden means 1.6 percent less trade for large companies but 3.2 percent less trade for SMEs,” she said.

 

(Reporting by Tom Miles; Editing by Toby Chopra)

Read more

Zimbabwe losing $1 billion a year to corruption – report

Comments (0) Latest Updates from Reuters

HARARE (Reuters) – Zimbabwe is losing at least $1 billion annually to corruption, with police and local government officials among the worst offenders, Transparency International said in a report on Tuesday.

Social media groups like #ThisFlag and #Tajamuka have cited corruption in President Robert Mugabe’s government and police roadblocks where money is taken from motorists as among the main reasons for protests that have rocked the southern African nation in the last few months.

Transparency International Zimbabwe (TIZ) said the police, local councils, the vehicle inspection department that issues driving licences and the education department were among the most corrupt institutions.

“The resulting institutionalisation and systematisation of corruption in Zimbabwean political and economic spheres has been extensive,” TIZ said.

“It would be surprising if the value (of corruption) were less than $1 billion annually.”

Police spokeswoman Charity Charamba said she could not immediately comment.

Critics and the opposition accuse Mugabe of failing to tackle high-level graft and say endemic corruption is one reason foreign companies are hesitant to invest in the country.

Mugabe has at times admitted to corruption among his cabinet ministers but says police lack the evidence to prosecute.

“It could be true there could be corruption but we don’t have people who are prepared to give evidence,” Information Minister Christopher Mushohwe said in response to questions about the report.

“Give us the evidence and the law will take its course.”

Zimbabwe was last year ranked 150th out of 168 countries on the Transparency International index, which measures public perceptions of corruption in public institutions.

Corruption mainly consists of public officials demanding bribes for basic services like installing an electricity metre, approving a house plan to facilitating investment.

Zimbabwe’s tax authority in May suspended its head and five managers in connection with the purchase of luxury cars that were undervalued by a local dealer, one of few high-ranking graft cases to be made public in recent years.

 

(Reporting by MacDonald Dzirutwe; Editing by Joe Brock and Hugh Lawson)

Read more

Tunisia cuts growth outlook to 1.5 pct vs previous 2.5 pct

Comments (0) Latest Updates from Reuters

TUNIS (Reuters) – Tunisia has cut its 2016 growth forecast to 1.5 percent this year, down from an expected 2.5 percent, its finance minister said on Wednesday, citing difficulties in the phosphate sector where protests have disrupted production.

“According to the complementary law for the 2016 budget, growth will be at 1.5 percent this year due to a decline in economic activity in several sectors including phosphate,” Finance Minister Lamia Zribi told reporters.

Growth in 2015 was only 0.8 pct after Islamist militant attacks hit the tourism sector that represents around 8 percent of the gross domestic product.

The country’s vital phosphate exports have been disrupted by strikes and protests by unemployed youth seeking jobs, costing the state tens of millions of dollars in lost revenue.

Tunisia produced 4 million tonnes of phosphate last year and output for the first six months of 2016 was at 1.86 million tonnes, according to the energy ministry. It produced about 8.26 million tonnes of phosphate in 2010. But output dropped after its 2011 revolution.

Tunisian Prime Minister Youssef Chahed told Reuters last week growth will 3 percent next year, helped by a package of reforms aimed at shoring up the new democracy won in the 2011 revolution with economic gains.

 

(Reporting By Tarek Amara; editing by Patrick Markey)

tagreuters.com2016binary_LYNXNPEC940DV-VIEWIMAGE

Read more