Author

Kenya secures deal to keep duty-free access to EU market

Comments (0) Non classé

By Duncan Miriri

NAIROBI (Reuters) – Kenya will retain duty-free access to the European Union for its products, its trade minister said on Thursday, reassuring exporters who feared problems in clinching a deal between the EU and the East African Community could lead to tariffs.

Kenyan businesses have been alarmed by delays in signing the trade pact, known as the Economic Partnership Agreement (EPA), between the EU and five-nation East African Community (EAC), after reservations raised by Tanzania.

Kenya stood to lose most as it would have lost duty- and quota-free access, whereas other EAC member states are categorised as poorer nations who keep that access whether or not the more comprehensive trade deal is signed.

The deadline for the EAC to finalise the agreement was Oct. 1 and there were fears that Kenyan goods could be locked out or become subject to tariffs.

“Come next week Kenyan exports will still have access to the EU market without paying any duties, as it was before,” Aden Mohamed, the Kenyan minister for trade and industrialisation, told Reuters.

Kenya, which exports coffee, tea and horticultural products to Europe, secured the continued free access to EU markets after it signed the deal with the EU, despite Tanzania holding back.

Kenya has also already ratified the pact in parliament and it presented a copy to the EU in Brussels on Wednesday.

EAC heads of state are scheduled to discuss the EPA with the EU in January but Mohamed said Kenyan goods would maintain their access regardless of the outcome.

“We are hopeful everybody will come on board and then rather than just having a window of access into the EU, we will enjoy a much more comprehensive agreement that has some benefits of development infrastructure that will come as a result of that agreement being signed,” he said.

Mohamed also said on Thursday that the government had revoked a rule in the 2015 companies law demanding that foreigners investing in Kenya offer a 30 percent stake to a Kenyan party. Foreign investors had criticised the new rule.

“The spirit of what we want to do in the country is to have an economy that is open for business and doesn’t want to impose pressure,” he said.

 

(Editing by Edmund Blair and Gareth Jones)

Read more

African sovereign trio add to growing appeal for sukuk

Comments (0) Latest Updates from Reuters

By Bernardo Vizcaino

(Reuters) – Senegal has upsized its second sale of sovereign sukuk, with Ivory Coast and Togo expected to close their own deals in coming days, as Islamic finance gains traction as an alternative funding option for African sovereigns.

Despite strong growth in the Middle East and Southeast Asia, Islamic finance has lagged in Africa although it could be an important growth driver for the industry as it is home to a quarter of the world’s Muslims.

Senegal issued a debut sukuk in 2014 and returned to the market in July with a 10-year deal paying a 6 percent profit rate backed by assets from Dakar’s international airport.

Investor demand prompted the issuer to seek regulatory approval to expand the size of the deal, according to the Saudi-based Islamic Corporation for the Development of the Private Sector (ICD) which helped arrange the sukuk.

Senegal’s sukuk raised a total of 200 billion CFA francs ($341.5 million) from an initial plan for 150 billion CFA francs, the ICD said. It attracted total orders of 233 billion CFA francs.

More than half of the Senegal sukuk was sold to local investors, with a third taken up by investors from the Ivory Coast and Togo, which are next in line to tap the market.

The two governments aim to finalize their sukuk deals by early next month, which the ICD is also arranging.

Ivory Coast is completing a sale of 150 billion CFA franc worth of 7-year sukuk, the second phase of a 300 billion CFA franc sukuk programme set up last year.

Togo aims to raise 150 billion CFA francs from its debut sukuk, which has a 10-year maturity and 6.5 percent yield.

Niger has also signed up for a sukuk programme to raise 150 billion CFA francs in two phases, although a timing has yet to be determined.

The CFA franc is issued by the central bank of the 8-nation West African Economic and Monetary Union.

 

($1 = 585.6200 CFA francs)

 

(Reporting by Bernardo Vizcaino; Editing by Eric Meijer)

Read more

Morocco signs deal with Boeing to attract suppliers

Comments (0) Latest Updates from Reuters

By Zakia Abdennebi

Tangier, MOROCCO (Reuters) – Morocco has signed an agreement that Boeing Co will seek to attract its suppliers to boost the kingdom’s aeronautics industry.

The “Boeing ecosystem” project aims to bring around 120 suppliers of the company to help raise Morocco’s aeronautics exports by $1 billion and create 8,700 jobs.

Boeing already has a joint venture with France’s Safran in Casablanca to build wire bundles and harnesses for aircraft makers, including Boeing and Airbus.

Tuesday’s agreement was signed in the royal palace of Tangier by Moroccan trade and industry minister Moulay Hafid Elalamy and the chief executive of Boeing’s airplane business, Raymond Conner. Moroccan King Mohammed attended the ceremony.

“Boeing will actively reach out to more than 120 suppliers in the near term to encourage this to happen,” Conner said during the ceremony.

Conner and Moroccan officials declined to give details or to say whether some of the suppliers have already commited to open new plants in the kingdom.

Unlike some other countries in the region, Morocco has managed to avoid a big drop in foreign investments since the global financial crisis and the Arab Spring uprisings of 2011, partly by marketing itself as an export base for Europe, the Middle East and Africa.

It has attracted some big auto and aeronautics investors in recent years, including Delphi, Bombardier and Eaton Corp.

It has already exported 5.7 billion dirhams ($590 million) of aircraft parts in the first eight months of 2016, which represent around of 3.5 percent of Moroccan exports. The aeronautics sector has been growing by around 7 percent annually.

Morocco expects auto industry exports to reach 100 billion dirhams a year by 2020 thanks to PSA Peugeot Citroen’s decision last year to build a factory slated to produce 200,000 vehicles a year. It expects the Peugeot plant to raise industry to 20 percent of domestic product (GDP) from 16 percent.

 

($1 = 9.6830 Moroccan dirham)

 

(Writing by Aziz El Yaakoubi; Editing by Ruth Pitchford)

tagreuters.com2016binary_LYNXNPEC8R0AY-VIEWIMAGE

Read more

Kenya to pick contractor for minerals survey by December: minister

Comments (0) Latest Updates from Reuters

By George Obulutsa

NAIROBI(Reuters) – Kenya will appoint a company by December to conduct a year-long airborne survey to map its mineral deposits to attract mining explorers to the nascent sector, Mining Cabinet Secretary Dan Kazungu said on Wednesday.

Kazungu said the ministry has initial funding of 3 billion shillings ($29.64 million) from the Treasury in the 2016/17 (July-June) fiscal year to start the survey.

Kenya has proven deposits of titanium, gold and coal and is also understood to hold significant deposits of copper, niobium, manganese and rare earth minerals.

President Uhuru Kenyatta created the Mining Ministry in 2013 to try and diversify the east African economy which relies mainly on tourism and agriculture.

“In our forecast we believe we should be able to have that contractor through competitive bidding who will do the airborne survey,” Kazungu told reporters on the sidelines of a mining industry conference.

He said the ministry would hire a consultant in the next month or so to work with geologists to help the contractor with Kenya’s first such survey.

“As the process goes on, we should be able to find preliminary results as the mapping starts,” he said. “We have never surveyed our country to know what we have. We need to have credible data.”

He said the survey would start in western Kenya, where gold has been discovered.

Successive governments have had little success in trying to develop Kenya’s mining potential, with foreign exploration companies discouraged by poor infrastructure and an outdated legal framework.

In May a new law came into effect, which includes giving the government a 10 percent share, known as free carry interest, for projects that meet yet-to-be determined minimum investment thresholds.

It also sets the average rate of royalties for the government for various minerals at 6 percent, with miners paying a lower rate when they process the minerals locally.

Base Titanium, Kenya’s first large-scale international mining project, shipped the first consignment of minerals in February 2014 after years of delays.

Base Titanium, a unit of Australia’s Base Resources, said earlier this year it expects ilmenite output at its Kenyan mine to rise by up to 5 percent and rutile by up to 11 percent in the financial year to June 30, 2017.

The $305 million Base Resources project is seen as integral to Kenya’s plans to expand its mining sector.

($1 = 101.2000 Kenyan shillings)

 

(Reporting by George Obulutsa; editing by Elias Biryabarema and Susan Thomsa)

Read more

South Africa’s rand firmer, stocks set to open flat

Comments (0) Latest Updates from Reuters

JOHANNESBURG (Reuters) – South Africa’s rand firmed against the dollar in early trade on Wednesday as traders awaited the final shareholder approval of the ABI-SABMiller deal which could boost demand for the local currency.

* At 0645 GMT, the rand trades at 13.4100 per dollar, 0.46percent firmer from its New York close on Tuesday. * SABMiller shareholder vote on AB InBev’s takeoverWednesday. SABMiller shares trade on London & Johannesburg stockexchanges. * Blue chip futures index up 0.08 percent, indicating JSEsecurities exchange opening flat at 0700 GMT. * Yield for the benchmark government bond due in 2026 adds0.5 basis points to 8.62 percent.

 

(Reporting by Olivia Kumwenda-Mtambo)

tagreuters.com2016binary_LYNXNPEC8R099-VIEWIMAGE

Read more

Ghana cocoa regulator says to close 2015/16 season on Thursday

Comments (0) Latest Updates from Reuters

ACCRA (Reuters) – Ghana will close its 2015/16 cocoa season on Thursday after a year in which dry weather contributed to around an 8.2 percent production shortfall against a 850,000 tonne target set by industry regulator Cocobod.

The timing of Cocobod’s decision is to allow buyers and farmers to prepare for the 2016/17 crop which is expected to open in early October.

“All licensed buying companies are kindly requested to wind up all operational activities of the 2015/16 cocoa crop season before the opening of the 2016/17 main crop season,” the regulator said in a statement.

The 2015/16 season in Ghana, the world’s second biggest cocoa producer after Ivory Coast, began last Oct. 2 and total output is expected at about 780,000 tonnes, up 11 percent on last season, government sources told Reuters.

Cocobod Chief executive Stephen Opuni said Cocobod would purchase 850,000 to 900,000 tonnes of beans in the new season.

Cocobod, which markets and exports cocoa and cocoa products produced in Ghana, signed a $1.8 billion loan with international banks last week to finance the purchases.

 

(Reporting by Kwasi Kpodo; Editing by Matthew Mpoke Bigg and Jane Merriman)

tagreuters.com2016binary_LYNXNPEC8Q0S2-VIEWIMAGE

Read more

Saudis, Iran dash hopes for OPEC oil deal in Algeria

Comments (0) Latest Updates from Reuters

By Rania El Gamal, Alex Lawler and Vladimir Soldatkin

ALGIERS (Reuters) – Saudi Arabia and Iran on Tuesday dashed hopes that OPEC oil producers could clinch an output-limiting deal in Algeria this week as sources within the exporter group said the differences between the kingdom and Tehran remained too wide.

“This is a consultative meeting … We will consult with everyone else, we will hear the views, we will hear the secretariat of OPEC and also hear from consumers,” Saudi Energy Minister Khalid al-Falih told reporters.

Iranian Oil Minister Bijan Zanganeh said: “It is not the time for decision-making.” Referring to the next formal OPEC meeting in Vienna on Nov. 30, he added: “We will try to reach agreement for November.”

The Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries will hold informal talks at 1400 GMT on Wednesday. Its members are also meeting non-OPEC producers such as Russia on the sidelines of the International Energy Forum, which groups producers and consumers.

Oil prices have more than halved from 2014 levels due to oversupply, prompting OPEC producers and rival Russia to seek a market rebalancing that would boost revenues from oil exports and help their crippled budgets.

The predominant idea since early 2016 among producers has been to agree to freeze output levels, although market watchers have said such a move would fail to reduce unwanted barrels.

Sources told Reuters last week that Saudi Arabia had offered to reduce its output if Iran agreed to freeze production, a shift in Riyadh’s position as the kingdom had previously refused to discuss output cuts.

On Monday, Iranian Oil Minister Bijan Zanganeh said expectations should be modest and several OPEC delegates said the positions of Saudi Arabia and Iran remained too far apart. Oil prices were down 2 percent in Tuesday trade. [O/R]

Three OPEC sources said Iran, whose production has stagnated at 3.6 million barrels per day, insisted on having the right to ramp that up to around 4.1-4.2 million bpd, while OPEC Gulf members wanted its output to be frozen below 4 million.

“Don’t expect anything unless Iran suddenly changes its mind and agrees to a freeze. But I don’t think they will,” an OPEC source familiar with discussions said.

WHAT IRAN WANTS

Russian Energy Minister Alexander Novak was due to meet Zanganeh on Tuesday in what sources said was a new attempt to persuade Tehran to play ball. Several other sources said Algeria and Qatar were also talking to Iran in a bid to rescue a deal.

Iranian oil sources said Tehran wanted OPEC to allow it to produce 12.7 percent of the group’s output, equal to what it was extracting before 2012, when the European Union imposed additional sanctions on the country for its nuclear activities.

Sanctions were eased in January 2016.

Between 2012 and 2016, Saudi Arabia and other Gulf OPEC members have raised output to compete for market share with higher-cost producers such as the United States.

As a result, Iran believes its fair production share in OPEC should be higher than its current output, which it says should rise once Tehran agrees new investments with international oil companies. Saudi output has risen to 10.7 million bpd from 10.2 million in recent months due to local needs for summer cooling.

“Iran believes this is a just volume of production, which it had prior to the sanctions. This has been discussed more than once,” Novak said on Tuesday.

Gary Ross, a veteran OPEC watcher and founder of U.S.-based think tank PIRA, said Saudi output had risen too steeply in recent months and even if it were cut to pre-summer levels, Iran would see an offer to freeze its own output as unfair.

“It is a carefully calculated offer because Saudi Arabia knows it will not be acceptable to Iran … Saudi Arabia wants to put the blame of OPEC inaction in Algiers on Iran,” Ross said.

“There will be tremendous political and revenue pressure on Iran to do a deal but PIRA thinks it unlikely Iran will accept the Saudi offer for it clearly does not pass President Hassan Rouhani’s fairness test.”

The Saudi and Iranian economies depend heavily on oil, but Iran is seeing the pressure easing as it emerges from years of sanctions. Riyadh, on the other hand, faces a second year of record budget deficits and is being forced to cut the salaries of government employees.

Falih said he was, nevertheless, optimistic about the oil market although rebalancing was taking longer than expected.

He said record global stocks of oil had started to decline: “How fast will it take place, it also depends on the production agreement. If there is a consensus on one in the next few months, Saudi Arabia will be with the consensus view.”

(Writing by Dmitry Zhdannikov; Editing by Dale Hudson)

tagreuters.com2016binary_LYNXNPEC8Q0DA-VIEWIMAGE

Read more

Nigeria in talks with African Development Bank for $1 bln loan

Comments (0) Latest Updates from Reuters

ABUJA (Reuters) – Nigeria is in talks with the African Development Bank (AfDB) for a $1 billion dollar loan to help cover its 2016 budget deficit, the finance minister said on Monday.

The loan would be concessional with an interest rate of 1.2 percent, Kemi Adeosun told reporters following a meeting with AfDB head Akinwumi Adesina.

 

(Reporting by Felix Onuah; Writing by Alexis Akwagyiram; Editing by Robin Pomeroy)

tagreuters.com2016binary_LYNXNPEC8P0QN-VIEWIMAGE

Read more

South Africa’s rand firmer, stocks set to open lower

Comments (0) Latest Updates from Reuters

JOHANNESBURG (Reuters) – South Africa’s rand firmed in early trade on Monday as the dollar eased ahead of the first debate between U.S. presidential candidates, while stocks were set to open lower.

* At 0645 GMT, the rand traded at 13.6600 per dollar, 0.44percent firmer from its New York close on Friday. * Yield for the benchmark instrument due in 2026 was flat at8.565 percent. * Blue chip futures index down 0.72 percent, indicating JSEsecurities exchange opening lower at 0700 GMT.

 

(Reporting by Olivia Kumwenda-Mtambo)

tagreuters.com2016binary_LYNXNPEC8P098-VIEWIMAGE

Read more

South African fund manager Futuregrowth lifts ban on state-run Land Bank’s debt

Comments (0) Latest Updates from Reuters

JOHANNESBURG (Reuters) – South African fixed-income asset manager Futuregrowth has lifted a suspension on buying the bonds of state-run Land Bank subject to amendments, it said on Monday.

Futuregrowth, which manages client assets of around 170 billion rand ($12 bln), halted buying the debt of six state-owned firms (SOEs) – including power utility Eskom and logistics firm Transnet – last month, citing political uncertainty following investigations into Finance Minister Pravin Gordhan.

On Monday, it said its ban on buying the other five firms’ debt remained in place but it was in talks with the companies about the issue.

Its decision to lift its ban on buying the debt of Land Bank, a major lender to farmers, follows an “extensive review of the governance and investor protection mechanisms”, Futuregrowth said in a statement.

“Land Bank agreed to improve transparency and public disclosure of its governance structures within the organisation,” Futuregrowth said.

Another South African fund manager, Abax Investments, said this month that it had reduced purchasing bonds of state-owned firms in the past three years due to concerns over their weaker performance, but would not impose a blanket lending freeze.

Land Bank confirmed in a statement the lifting of Futuregrowth’s suspension with immediate effect.

“These enhancements are viewed in a positive light and have been welcomed by Land Bank,” it said.

“Futuregrowth continues to constructively engage with other SOEs as part of its ongoing investment process,” Futuregrowth spokeswomen Michele Usher said.

 

 

($1 = 13.6645 rand)

 

(Reporting by Tanisha Heiberg; Editing by Susan Fenton)

Read more