Author

Workers at S. African power utility Eskom defy court order to continue strike

Comments (0) Africa, Business, Latest Updates from Reuters

By Nqobile Dludla

JOHANNESBURG (Reuters) – More workers at South African state-run power utility Eskom joined a strike over pay, their union said on Wednesday, in defiance of a court order preventing the industrial action at the state-run firm.

The company has branded the stoppage by thousands of National Union of Mineworkers (NUM) members which started on Monday illegal because its members are prohibited by law from striking, but said its operations had not been affected so far.

The labour dispute is the latest problem to beset Eskom, which has struggled to meet power demand in Africa’s most industrialised country due to its aging power plants and grid. However, it has managed a year without rolling blackouts that have hurt the economy in the past.

“Our message to the whole nation is just to keep calm. We are handling the situation, currently the situation is under control,” Eskom spokesman Khulu Phasiwe said, adding that he could not divulge the firm’s contingency plans.

Phasiwe said the court order prohibits NUM and two other unions from going on strike as part of the Labour Relations Act, which bars workers deemed to provide an essential service from going on strike.

NUM said on Tuesday that all of its 15,000 members at the utility, or close to a third of Eskom’s workforce, would stop work on Wednesday. [L8N1AQ41Q]

The union’s spokesman Livhuwani Mammburu said its members were on strike in provinces where Eskom runs its biggest plants, including in Mpumalanga province.

“Our members are aware that for them being involved in this strike there are consequences and they are saying they are fighting for the right cause,” said Mammburu.

Asked whether union members will be dismissed if they do go on strike, Phasiwe said workers would not be fired en masse but that each case will be handled on its own merit.

He said talks with the union had not yet collapsed and both parties were due to meet this morning for further discussions.

The utility is offering pay increases of 7 to 9 percent while NUM on Tuesday lowered their wage demand to 8.5 to 10 percent from 12 to 13 percent.

The stoppage at Eskom coincides with a strike over wages by around 15,000 workers in the petrochemical industry that has been going on since last week but has so far not caused any significant fuel shortages.

(Editing by James Macharia and Louise Heavens)

tagreuters.com2016binary_LYNXNPEC790FT-VIEWIMAGE

Read more

Thousands more workers to join strike at South African power utility

Comments (0) Africa, Business, Latest Updates from Reuters

JOHANNESBURG (Reuters) – Thousands more workers at South African power stations plan to join a strike on Wednesday over pay at state-run utility Eskom, their union said on Tuesday.

The strike began on Monday when about 1,500 members of the National Union of Mineworkers (NUM) downed tools after wage talks stalled. Eskom branded the stoppage illegal because its members are prohibited by law from striking, but said its operations had not been affected so far.

The union said that all of its 15,000 members at the utility, or close to a third of Eskom’s workforce, will stop work on Wednesday. Tuesday was a public holiday in South Africa.

“It is going to be a total withdrawal of labour by our members. NUM members will be striking for the right to strike at Eskom,” the union said in a statement.

Eskom could not be reached for comment on how its operations would be affected on Wednesday.

Eskom said on Monday that arbitration over the wage dispute was continuing. The utility is offering pay hikes of 7 to 9 percent while NUM is looking for increases of 12 to 13 percent.

The labour dispute is the latest problem to beset cash-strapped Eskom, which has struggled to meet power demand in South Africa due to its aging power plants and grid. However, it has managed a year without rolling blackouts that have hurt the economy in the past.

 

(Reporting by James Macharia; Editing by Susan Fenton)

Read more

Zambia’s H1 copper output rises 8%

Comments (0) Africa, Business, Latest Updates from Reuters

LUSAKA (Reuters) – Zambia’s copper production rose by 8 percent to 368,371 tonnes in the first six months of this year from 340,510 tonnes in the same period last year, the country’s chamber of mines said on Tuesday.

Full-year copper production in Africa’s second-biggest copper producer was expected to rise by 5.4 percent to 750,000 tonnes this year from the 711,515 tonnes produced last year, the chamber said in a statement.

 

(Reporting by Chris Mfula; Writing by James Macharia; Editing by Louise Heavens)

Read more

South Sudan inflation surges to more than 600% in wake of conflict

Comments (0) Africa, Business, Latest Updates from Reuters

NAIROBI (Reuters) – South Sudan’s inflation more than doubled in July to reach an annual rate of 661.3 percent, its statistics office said on Monday, as the economy of the 5-year old nation continued to reel amid civil conflict.

The National Bureau of Statistics said in a statement that inflation jumped from 309.6 percent a month earlier due to rising food and non-alcoholic drinks prices. Prices rose 77.7 percent month-on-month in July.

Oil-producing South Sudan won independence from Sudan in 2011 but in December 2013 slid into a two-year civil war after a dispute between President Salva Kiir and his former deputy Riek Machar.

The economy has been battered, driving prices higher.

In June, U.N. agencies said up to 4.8 million people in South Sudan face severe food shortages, the highest level since a conflict began.

 

(Reporting by George Obulutsa; Editing by Toby Chopra)

Read more

Cash-starved Burundi reports stronger inflow from domestic taxes

Comments (0) Africa, Latest Updates from Reuters, Politics

KIGALI (Reuters) – Tax revenues in Burundi rose by almost 13 percent last month compared with a year ago, official data showed on Monday, a boost for the economy following a year of unrest linked to the re-election of President Pierre Nkurunziza.

More than 450 people have been killed in violence and more than a quarter of a million people have fled to neighbouring countries since Nkurunziza was re-elected for a third term in the small east African country in what the opposition said was a violation of the constitution.

A strong inflow from domestic taxes as well as modest revenue from coffee and tea exports have become vital for the aid-dependent country, particularly since Belgium and the European Union, key donors, cut external aid over the past year.

Tax collection rose to 50.2 billion francs ($30.32 million), up from 44.7 billion francs collected in July 2015 and well up on the target of 47.1 billion francs, the semi-autonomous revenue authority (OBR) said in a report.

Political unrest held back tax collection last year. Recovery of tax arrears had helped tax collection this year and the fight against tax evasion had been more effective, officials said.

Cumulative tax receipts from January to July jumped to 355.9 billion francs versus 333.03 billion francs the same period last year.

“The OBR reiterates its commitment to continue its mission of maximizing tax collection to support the country’s economy,” it said.

In the 2016 budget, the government foresaw grants falling by almost 50 percent compared to 2015.

($1 = 1,655.9000 Burundi francs)

 

(Reporting by Patrick Nduwimana; Editing by George Obulutsa and Richard Balmforth)

Read more

South Africa’s business confidence rises to 96.0 in July

Comments (0) Africa, Business, Latest Updates from Reuters

JOHANNESBURG (Reuters) – South Africa’s business confidence index rose to 96.0 points in July from 95.1 in June, lifted by a firmer rand and improvements in export volumes and retails sales, a South African Chamber of Commerce and Industry (SACCI) survey showed on Monday.

“South Africa experienced stronger merchandise export trade in June and July 2016, while the rand gained a healthy plus 10 percent on a weighted rand exchange rate against the U.S. dollar, British pound and the euro,” SACCI said in a statement.

SACCI, however, said it was concerned that the International Monetary Fund (IMF) and the South African Reserve Bank had lowered economic growth projections for Africa’s most industrialised country.

“A concerted effort will be necessary to avoid even tighter economic conditions in 2017 as such lower economic growth holds additional repercussions for public finance, unemployment and the real cost of borrowing,” SACCI said.

The IMF expects South Africa’s economy to grow by 0.1 percent this year, while the central bank cut its 2016 growth forecast to zero.

 

(Reporting by Olivia Kumwenda-Mtambo; Editing by James Macharia)

Read more

Wage strike starts at South Africa power utility Eskom, supplies stable

Comments (0) Africa, Business, Latest Updates from Reuters

JOHANNESBURG (Reuters) – Workers downed tools Monday at three South African power stations with more set to follow as a wage strike began at state-run utility Eskom, but the company said its operations had not yet been impacted and branded the stoppage illegal.

Paris Mashego, NUM’s energy sector coordinator, told Reuters that wage talks with the utility were in deadlock over the weekend. Eskom provides almost all the power to Africa’s most industrialised economy but it was not immediately clear what impact the strike may have on its ability to keep the lights on.

An Eskom spokesman said operations had not yet been impacted and reiterated the utility’s view that its members are prohibited by law from striking.

“Across all of our 27 power stations everything is operating as normal at this stage,” spokesman Khulu Phasiwe said.

“And no one from Eskom is allowed to go on strike because we are defined as essential service providers. Technically anyone who is not at work today will have to explain themselves to their bosses,” he said.

He added that Eskom did not feel that negotiations had collapsed. The utility is offering pay hikes of 7 to 9 percent while NUM is looking for increases ranging from 12 to 13 percent.

Phasiwe also said NUM members early on Monday morning had blocked roads leading to the Arnot power station east of Johannesburg but police had been called in and the roads were now clear.

NUM has around 15,000 members at Eskom, close to a third of its workforce.

The stoppage coincides with a wage strike by around 15,000 workers in the petrochemical industry that has led to some shortages and was entering its second week on Monday.

 

(Reporting by Ed Stoddard; Editing by James Macharia)

Read more

Nigeria fine pushes MTN to first interim loss, dividend cut

Comments (0) Africa, Business, Latest Updates from Reuters

By Tiisetso Motsoeneng

JOHANNESBURG (Reuters) – Africa’s biggest mobile phone operator MTN Group Ltd cut investor payouts by almost 50 percent as it reported its first-ever half-yearly loss after taking a hit from a hefty regulatory fine in Nigeria.

MTN agreed in June to pay a 330 billion naira ($1.05 billion) fine in a settlement with Nigeria for missing a deadline to cut off unregistered SIM cards from its network.

MTN said the fine, a third of the proposed initial penalty, wiped 10.5 billion rand ($768 million) — 474 cents per share — from headline earnings, South Africa’s main measure of profit, in the first six months of the year.

MTN had in any case been struggling to accelerate subscriber and profit growth as years of price wars and regulatory pressure hit margins and weakening economies squeezed consumer income.

“What you have here is a company that was gung-ho about Africa, where the operating environment has become difficult but they have shot themselves in both feet by losing control of the key markets and not paying attention to regulators,” said one MTN shareholder, who declined to be named.

MTN, held by many investors for its dividend flows, will pay out 250 cents per share for the first half of the year, down nearly 50 percent on a year earlier.

However, the company said full-year dividend could top the previously forecast 700 cents per share if operating conditions materially improve.

INTO THE RED

The headline loss came in at 4.9 billion rand, or 271 cents per share, in the six months. This is compared with headline earnings of almost 12 billion rand, or 654 cents per share, a year earlier.

MTN also said the results were affected by unfavourable currency swings, underperformance in its home market and in Nigeria, where it had to cut off another 4.5 million SIM cards to comply with local registration requirements.

Founded with the South African government’s help after the end of apartheid in 1994, MTN had been seen as one of post-apartheid South Africa’s biggest commercial successes.

It has hired Vodafone European head Rob Shuter to lead its development, aiming to persuade its millions of clients to use their handsets for everything from shopping, paying bills to storing money.

Shuter, who will take over as chief executive by next July, replaces Sifiso Dabengwa who resigned last November after Nigeria imposed the penalty — which will be paid by the Nigerian business in the local currency.

Nigeria has been trying to halt the use of unregistered cards over concerns they are being used for criminal activity, including by Islamist militant group Boko Haram.

Shares in MTN, which had dropped by nearly one-third since October when Nigeria imposed the fine, see-sawed as investors digested the earnings statement.

They rose as much as 2.5 percent shortly after the market opened, before retreating to trade 2.8 percent lower at 129.8 rand as of 0930 GMT.($1 = 315.0000 naira)

($1 = 13.6714 rand)

(Editing by Jane Merriman/Keith Weir)

tagreuters.com2016binary_LYNXNPEC740A0-VIEWIMAGE

Read more

Morocco jobless rate falls year/year to 8.6% in second quarter

Comments (0) Business, Latest Updates from Reuters, Middle East

RABAT (Reuters) – Morocco’s jobless rate fell to 8.6 percent in the second quarter this year from 8.7 percent in the same period last year, mostly on employment growth in the construction and services sectors, official figures showed on Friday.

Services, building activity and industry added 149,000 additional jobs to help offset 175,000 jobs lost in the agricultural sector due to a severe drought, the High Planning Commission added.

The government expects the 2016 cereal harvest to fall sharply after last year’s record crop of 11 million tonnes due to bad weather and more farm job losses are expected in 2016.

The woes of the farm sector have put further pressure on the Moroccan government, which is already facing protests over austerity measures.

The industrial sector created 38,000 jobs, the data showed. Construction and services added 70,000 and 41,000 jobs respectively, more than in previous years, a sign that the Moroccan economy has started to recover from years of recession caused largely by the euro zone debt crisis. The euro zone is Morocco’s main trade partner.

However, jobs created by construction and services are mostly precarious, the agency warned.

The Finance Ministry has forecast the economy will grow this year by less than 2 percent, slowing from 4.4 percent in 2015. However, the planning agency said the drought would drag growth down to 1.3 percent in 2016.

Informal labour abounds in Morocco, making it hard to produce reliable employment figures.

 

 

(Reporting By Aziz El Yaakoubi; Editing by Ralph Boulton)

Read more

Cameroon’s 2015/16 cocoa production rises 16% y/y

Comments (0) Africa, Business, Latest Updates from Reuters

YAOUNDE (Reuters) – Cameroon’s cocoa production rose nearly 16 percent year-on-year to 269,495 tonnes in the 2015/16 season, National Cocoa and Coffee Board (NCCB) data released on Thursday showed.

Africa’s fourth-largest cocoa producer has targeted annual production of 600,000 tonnes by 2020. The 2016/17 season opened on Wednesday.

The 2015/16 figure surpassed the central African country’s previous record of 240,000 tonnes during the 2010/11 season. Output since then has fluctuated due to pests, crop diseases and a prolonged dry season.

Cameroon’s government is trying to encourage young people and women to grow the crop and to prevent illegal export to neighboring countries.

Last year, Cameroon announced plans to double its cocoa processing capacity to about 30 percent of its total production, by adding 10 new processing units.

Cameroon’s cocoa season runs from Aug. 1 to July 1. The main harvest is from October to January/February, followed by a light crop harvest period from April/May to June/July.

 

 

(Reporting By Sylvain Andzongo; writing by Aaron Ross; Editing by Adrian Croft and Alexandra Hudson)

Read more